Skip to main content

Blog 4: Final Reflection


Comments

  1. Hi Lola Ogunro,
    Thank you for sharing your reflection. You gave a lot of insight through your video and I specifically liked hearing about the importance of recognizing the different types of ELLs there are in the classroom. You spoke about how assuming that all ELLs are the same does not promote an environment that is welcoming. A students cultural background is important to their learning and can be beneficial for everyone in the classroom to learn from. Wright wrote about the diversity in the U.S and how there are high rates of immigration (Wright, 2015). There is almost a certainty that every classroom will have ELLs and teachers do have to be prepared to learn about the students and support their second language development. I feel that everyone did a good job interviewing teachers about their experiences teaching ELLs. I know I gained a lot of knowledge from conducting my own interview as well as listening to other’s video. Getting to hear about the teaching strategies they used and advice they have for future teacher teaching ELLs, gave greater insight to the content we learned in this class.

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alondra. I like that you pointed out that there are different types of ELLs and that we as educators need to be aware of the individual attention that each student is going to need. Being culturally aware and not seeing their L2 as a replacement is crucial. "English should be viewed as an additional language rather than as a replacement for their home language." (Wright, 2015, p. 21). It is a funny cultural thing in America where speaking another language than English is not valued like it is in other countries. We need to make sure ELL students do not believe that they need to get rid of their L1 language but to have them flourish in both or all.


      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
    2. The ideas of translanguaging and bilingualism resonated with me the most throughout the class because they reiterate how important cultural background is in an educational context. Wright states that "teachers need to remember that the languages in an individual's linguistic repertoire are not separate and compartmentalized, and students always draw on what they know" (Wright 2015). This statement further justifies the notion that students draw on information that they have already comprehended and made use of. This information usually is drawn from their cultural background. Therefore understanding the cultural background of your students, is to gain insight on the students base of knowledge.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lola, I enjoyed hearing about your what you took away from this course. Similar to you, I also became more aware of the several different types of language programs that schools have the ability to offer. The path that requires the least amount of effort on the school is probably the ESL pullout program. In order to maintain a successful bilingual program, the administrators and teachers need to work collaboratively and undergo a lot of training (Wright, 2015, p. 117). This is likely why we have little diversity in terms of available bilingual programs – because schools and districts feel like they do not have the time or resources to provide the necessary effort. This, in turn, negatively affects the ELLs and provides less opportunities for them to succeed.

    Reference:

    Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon Pub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that schools still put the least amount of effort into ELL programs demonstrates that ELL education hasn't changed for the better even with federal legislative effort. The United States just recently dove into creating a more fair educational environment for ELL students. However, even with policies such as the Title VII Bilingual Education Act and No Child Left Behind, schools are still not able put in place the most effective language program models such as bilingual immersion programs or heritage language programs due to lack of funding.(Wright 2015).

      Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon Pub.

      Delete
  3. Hello Lola! I really enjoyed watching your reflection video. I agree with you that I am taking a lot away from this class. I also feel that because of this class I can better serve English language learners that will be in my class. This class has all taught me a lot of good strategies that I can use in my class. I really like the read-aloud strategy for English language learners. Because many students come from low-income families do not have access to reading books nor do they have someone to read to them. So when a teacher does a read aloud in class it is beneficial for the students to listen to a fluent reader (Wright, 2010). It allows them to hear the clear vocabulary and hearing the language. Having read-aloud in the classroom can help the students read the language more fluently.


    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2010. Print. First Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to the read aloud strategy, I really like the shared reading and writing strategy. I like the fact that shared reading and shared writing is a whole group activity, that is also interactive. Students are able to verbally tell the teacher what to write, which allows them to practice English orally, as well as see what they are seeing written out on large paper, which helps with reading and writing proficiency (Wright 2015).

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete

Post a Comment