Skip to main content

Blog 1: Introduction






Although I have none of my own experience with different techniques to learn a language, I think that learning a language through immersion would be the most helpful. I've done several observations in ELL classrooms where a dual language program was put in place. In the dual language classrooms i saw that students were flourishing; native English speakers were reading, speaking, and understanding Spanish at a conversational level and vice versa for the native Spanish speakers. Half of their instruction would be taught in English, whereas the other half of instruction would be taught in Spanish. The dual language programs acted as almost a "guided" language immersion program, site the students weren't fully immersed in another language the whole day. Dual Language programs have been found to increase student motivation and student interest, since students are able to engage in more meaningful interactions with their peers due to better communication (Thomas and Collier, 2018). As discussed in Second Language Acquisition, student interest and motivation are extremely important factors when it comes to language learning.

As a future ESL instructor without any knowledge of learning another language (as of right now), I am concerned about my usefulness and effectiveness when it comes to teaching ESL students. I hold empathy with high value, and I do fear that my lack of experience of what its like to learn a new language at a young age may prevent from fully empathizing with my ESL students. However, in the article by Tara Williams Fortune, What Research Says About Immersion, Inadequate teacher preparation and lack of ongoing support and ESL training are the biggest hindrances when it come to non native ESL educators (Fortune, 2017). As an educator, one of my top priorities is to ensure that I am continuing my education, and as a future ESL instructor, I must ensure that I am not only continuing my content knowledge but also my knowledge on new research fresh methods pertaining to instructing in an ESL classroom.


Citations:
Thomas, W. and Collier, V. (2018). The Multiple Benefits of Dual Language. [online] Ascd.org. Available at: http://www.ascd.org/ASCD/pdf/journals/ed_lead/el200310_thomas.pdf [Accessed 6 Jun. 2018].

Williams Fortune, T. (2018). What the Research Says About Immersion - Tara Williams Fortune. [online] Carla.umn.edu. Available at: http://carla.umn.edu/immersion/documents/ImmersionResearch_TaraFortune.html [Accessed 6 Jun. 2018].


Comments

  1. Hi Lola! Although you do not have personal experience learning different languages, I am glad that you actually took the time to go observe several classrooms with their dual language programs. It is interesting that you even brought up the dual language program because not many people know the difference between students that know different languages from birth or from those that learn a new language at a later time. According to Wright (2015), sequential bilingualism applies to newcomer ELLs who already speak the language or languages of their home country but then start to learn English as a new language at school. But Lola, it is never too late to start learning a new language! Your attitude and beliefs about showing compassion towards your future ESL students is more than enough to your teaching methods. Just as you would learn from them about their unique language and background, they learn about patience, compassion, and English from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth! Yes I agree with you it is never too late to learn a new language. From what I have observed in the school system is that we have a lot Spanish speaking students. Because in high school I took three years of Spanish in which I learned the basics. If a student were to communicate in Spanish to me as a teacher I would be able to help the student somewhat. I would also provide my student with different resources to help them learn English while maintaining their native language. According to Wright (2010), teacher can help the students learn by providing bilingual dictionaries for the students. I would also do some research on the students backgrounds too.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2010. Print. First Edition.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for pointing out the difference between sequential bilingualism and simultaneous bilingualism. Understanding the difference between these two forms of bilingualism is extremely important for me as someone who is not bilingual. While continuing to read Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners, I came across other factors that I didn't fully consider such as ELLs and special education, and how the RTI would change in those instances (Wright 14).

      Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lola! It is so cool that you are going to be an ESL teacher without knowing another language. So many ELLs need great teachers especially since according to Wright, "despite some improvement, drop-out rates continue to be substantially higher for Latino students than for white students" (2010, page 13). ESL teachers need to be experts in how they teach so the achievement gap can lessen and drop-out rates can decrease overtime. Wright mentions that ESL/bilingual teachers need to explore factors that include "the learning environment created for ELLs, personal and family issues, physical and psychological development, previous schooling, social and academic language development in the first and second language, academic achievement in both languages, and cultural differences" when it comes to instruction and intervention (2010, page 15). There is a lot that goes into teaching ELLs and that is something I'm sure we will gain knowledge in throughout this course!

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marissa, I agree that there is a lot that goes into teaching ELL students and I would like to teach ELL students in a way that interesting and relevant, rather boring. When I did take Spanish classes in high school, I feel as though we were mainly taught using the grammar translation method, which is not very engaging at all. Wright even states that it is usually the method of choice for teachers with "little or no training" and "isn't based on any theory" (Wright 60). I want to be an educator that puts theory to practice, and stays up to date on current research, while also always engaging my students.

      Delete
  3. Hello Lola,
    Your post connected to one of Wright’s points when he discussed “sociocultural perspective on language and teaching” and how it surrounds the learner and “facilitates the learning process” (Wright, 2015). Through your reflection, I felt that your perspective on teaching ESL will be very valuable to schools and students because you are aware of the diversity of students and are willing to help and motivate them. You mentioned “student interest” as an important factor when learning a new language. Student’s interest vary based on home environment, culture, age, and many more factors. ELLs don’t always feel comfortable in a classroom because of the language barrier, and the teacher makes the difference for the students. Teachers can incorporate student’s interest into the classroom to engage students and make them feel more comfortable. I think you have a lot to offer as an ESL teacher as you are willing to learn as much as you can.

    Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching english language learners: Research, theory,
    policy, and practice. Philadelphia, PA: Carlson Inc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am extremely passionate about the sociocultural aspect when it comes to being an ELL educator. I believe a strong, welcoming, student environment, fosters the best results, and increases motivation. Although I may not be able to relate to being bilingual, I can relate to feeling more comfortable in classrooms where my culture was acknowledged and respected. Comfortability in my classroom would definitely lower the chances of the "affective filter hypothesis" creating barriers to learning for ELLs (Wright 52).

      Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

      Delete
  4. Hello Lola. I am really happy to hear that even without any actual ESL or Ell experience you are willing to learn more in order to help ELL students. I have to say that even as someone who is an ELL student, I myself, am worried about how I can teach other ELL students. Wright (2015) sums up a list of roles a teacher should learn in order to better assist ELL students; Teacher as a communicator, educator, evaluator, an educated human being, and as an agent of socialization (p. 29). I feel that through this course, you can learn how to best meet each role in a manner that would help you teach ELL students. Wright (2015) also suggest as viewing students home language as a resource instead of a problem (p. 3). Learning how to use a student’s home language in your classroom could be the difference of properly teaching a student and wishing you could have done more.

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. While I was reading the roles that teachers should fill while assisting ELL learners, the one I resonated with most was teachers as an agent of socialization. As you may have noticed from m other replies. respecting and upholding students' home cultures is extremely important to me. Wright states that "non standard language varieties (Ebonics, Spanglish) are often unfairly stigmatized", and I could see how this same stigmatization could also apply to speakers who are at the beginning levels of English proficiency (Wright 56). As an educator, I would like to utilize content based instruction that inclusive of my student's culture to combat unfair stigmas.


      Delete

Post a Comment